This was a treat for the connoisseur, the two day event of vine and food tastings and master class, hosted by The TajMahal Hotel, New Delhi in association with Sibarita– The pleasure principle. The event “The International Vine and Food Experience 2016” was curated by renowned Sommelier Keith W Edgar along with the crème de la crème of the wine industry on 25th and 26th March, 2016. The poolside lawns, cooking stations, two Master Class arenas, the many canopies and good weather worked well together.
The opening day of“The Grand Tasting” saw the participation of over 50 wineries that showcased their finest selection of wines. And complementing them were food stations offering an elaborate array of delicacies paired by expert Chefs at the hotel. The exciting Masterclasses by mavens provided a lowdown on everything to know about the drink. Experts from various wineries took the guests on a journey through their beautiful vineyards and offered them a whiff of their culture and traditions.
Day one Master Classes:
- How to taste wine like a Master, with Liam Steevenson, Master of wine
- Principe Corsini – “Understanding Chianti, 1716-2016” – Prince DuccioCorsini conducted a session onChianti Classico and its quality classification system
- Craig Wedge conducted a tasting of ZardettoProsecco
- A session by RupaliBhatnagar, Sparkling winemaker from Sula, on Sparkling Wines
- Craig Wedge from Fratelli wines explored style differences of Chardonnay from around the world
- Karishma Grover guided guests through the process of barrel fermentation with Viognier
- Chief Winemaker Ajoy Shaw from Sula spoke about pioneering successful white varietals in India
- Senhora do Covento discussed LBV port
- Vishal Kadakia explored native grape varieties from Spain and Portugal
- Kei Choshiya from Japan introduced guests into the World of Sake
Day two had the “The Master Class Series”. Guests were treated to a grand food and wine pairing over lunch. From Pan seared tuna with enokiannd button mushroom marinate to Smoked Ricotta Ravioli, Duck two ways to Strawberry Charlotte, a firework of flavors was what hit the guests.
Day two Master Classes:
- Magandeep Singh of Drappier Champagne, France
- Liam Steevenson Master of wine, with Astrolabe’s Sauvignon Blanc- “Marlborough and the Man”
- Kei Choshiya hosted a tasting of Sake
The two day extravaganza came to a closure with a Black Tie Gala dinner, a bespoke evening that witnessed Champagne Drappier Reception followed by dinner. The Indian Navy Band enhanced the ambience at The Pool Side Lawns with their soul stirring performance just before dinner commenced.
Elaborating on the concept behind this two day mega event, Sommelier Keith W Edgar said, “International Vine and Food Experience was started as a novel concept to bring a world class event that could provide a perfect platform for people to enjoy a wide variety of wine as well as interact and learn from the experts. After enjoying two massively successful seasons, IVFE 2016 got bigger, better and more luxurious with Taj playing the perfect host and bringing to life an event of such scale and grandeur…. IVFE 2016 was a special one also because we had Prince DuccioCorsini hosting a session on Chianti Classicoand its quality classification system. This, at a time when Chianti Classico is celebrating 300 years of the region being awarded the official status of Chianti making.”
Sibarita, a new luxury brand in the country formed by the dynamic pair Patricia Emma Fernandez and Sybilla de UrayUra, officially launches in India and was the national sponsor for the two day gala event. The tie up of Sibarita and Taj seemed a natural progression as both celebrate the good things in life.
A tribute to food and wine-lovers, this experience was organized to provide a deeper understanding and appreciation of viniculture to all and to help raise awareness and appreciation of the beauty and art of wine-making and tasting in the country.